Himalayan Brown Bear and Snow Leopard Lodge
Style of TourJeep Safari and Hiking
Best SeasonNovember and April ONLY
StaysRemote Lodge in Drass and Snow Leopard Lodge in Ulley
Day 1: Arrive at Leh, transfer to Grand Dragon
- Rest and acclimatize for the day.
Day 2: Leh Local
- After breakfast visit the Snow Leopard Conservancy for a quick interaction with their team and about their work. Explore Leh Market and Shanti Stupa, Leh Palace or the Central Asian Museum.
Day 3: Birding Day Trip
- TTake a day trip to the villages of Latho, Gya and Meru for birding and wildlife viewing. Enroute visit some lesser known monasteries..
Day 4: Transfer to Brown Bear Lodge in Western Ladakh. Stop at Lamayuru/Alchi enroute ( 6 hrs )
- Drive to Drass from Leh post breakfast carrying packed lunch. Optional stops at Alchi, Lamayuru Monasteries and Saspol Caves Check in at Lodge in Brown Bear Landscape, Briefing by Tour Leader and Spotter, Dinner
Day 4 to Day 6: Exclusive Brown Bear tracking in Western Ladakh ( 3 nights)
- A typical day at the brown bear lodge looks something like this: Early starts to go looking for Brown Bears (usually between 5am) and other exciting wildlife around Drass with your spotter and tour Leader. You will be on foot to reach the vantage points at the top (40 mins-1 hour climb – gentle slope – mules and porters can be arranged) or drive scanning the slopes for movement of bears. The bears are generally active till around 9am after which we return. The guests can also stay on the hill for the whole day with their spotter if they wish to and on those days, a hot lunch will be brought up to the guest. Small packed breakfast goes with the guests on the morning expedition and once back in the house, a larger breakfast/brunch is served. Post lunch/brunch, head out on your vehicle with the tour leader to take in some places of interest around Kargil and Drass such as War Memorial (20 mins), Bhimbat (20 mins), Kargil Town (1 hour), Suru Valley (3 hours), Aryan Valley (2 hours), Hundarman Museum (40 mins) among other places. The guests can also choose to walk some other trails for birding or seeing flower blooms depending on the time of the year.
Day 7: Transfer to Snow Leopard Lodge, Ulley ( 5 hrs )(drive via Aryan Valley – optional )
- After breakfast, leave for the Ulley via Aryan valley. Explore the Brokpa tribes in Aryan valley and the Domkhar rock art site.
Day 7 to Day 12: Snow Leopard Lodge, Ulley (6 nights)
- A typical day at the lodge will be as follows:
- Wake up call at 7
- Breakfast at 8 30
- Day’s plan discussed then based on findings of the Spotters from earlier that morning ( guests can join the spotters early in the morning if they wish to)
- Based on information and distances, excursions will be organised using the vehicles at the Lodge, coupled with short walks ( easy to medium difficulty ) to vantage points or possible sighting areas. ( Mules and porters can be provided if requested in advance )
- Hot lunch at Lodge or in the field based on day’s plan.
- Return to the Lodge in the evening.
- Debrief in the common area over tea/coffee and snacks.
- Documentary projection or interaction with naturalists in the common area.
- Dinner at Lodge. .
Day 13: Return to Leh, Night at Grand Dragon
- After breakfast, drive back to Leh:
Day 14: Fly back to Delhi
- Early morning transfer to airport:
- All meals
- Tea / Coffee all day
- Transportation at the lodge for wildlife spotting
- Transfers to and from the lodge from Leh
- All activities
- Spotter / Trackers
- Resident Naturalist at the Lodge
- Personal Tour Leader / Naturalist
- Any Alcohol / Beverages
- Any Travel / Medical Insurance
- Stay and activities in Leh.
Facilities at the Lodge
- Power : Regular power supply with generator back up on schedule
- Food : Mix of Indian / Continental / Ladakhi. Set Menus
- Food : Mix of Indian / Continental / Ladakhi. Set Menus
- Binoculars available on request
- Spot scope with camera and mobile adapters
- Tea / Coffee & cookies available all day in the dining / lounge area
- All water freshly filtered in RO / UV
- Packed lunches / tea coffee provide when in the field
- No credit card facility – nearest ATM in Leh
- Vehicles / guides / spotters at disposal
- Rooms are heated with Gas / Electric heaters / Bukharis
- Hot Water Bottles
- No running water in winter. Toilets are flushed with buckets
- Hot water for bathing is available in buckets at your convenience
- Projection system for screening films in the Main Lodge and Annexe
- First Aid Kit
- Oxygen Cylinders
- Nearest Hospital in Leh ( approx. 2 hours drive )
- We strongly suggest to DMCs that an added conservation fee (INR 1000) be included/night/guest. This will be handed over to Snow Leopard Conservancy and the Himalayan Brown Bear Project to be used in conservation projects in the Sham and Kargil area
- We respect the local traditions and customs. We will always brief you regarding these each time you travel to a different location. We encourage you to be open and free while travelling to these locations and invite you to explore the region in its true sense.
- We focus on engaging local communities in our work to create livelihoods locally. Most of our camps/homestays are managed by the local villagers and local youth is engaged as guides/hosts
- We organize workshops to train local communities and youth for technical training in mountain guiding, hospitality and responsible tourism. If you are interested in contributing, do let us know.
What to carry?
- Valid ID proof (Passport/Voter ID/Drivers Licence)
- Comfortable walking shoes
- A small daybag for walks
- One down jacket or warmer for chilly nights
- Rain poncho or jacket/windcheater (a must!)
- Sun block
- Sun goggles
- Flashlight with extra batteries (preferably wearable)
- Water bottle, preferably wide mouthed, with at least one litre capacity
- Personal toiletries
- Power bank (if you want to use phone camera)
- That book you’ve been meaning to read
- - All outdoor related activities involve a certain level of risk. You are expected to sign an Indemnity Form in agreement to the risks involved through part taking in such outdoor activities.
- - Delays are expected on account of roadblock & weather conditions. Our effort will be to continue with the trip as per the schedule & make you as comfortable as possible. But in such situations we may have to compromise on the campsite & adjust to these situations then & there. Our Lead Guide on location will take the final call..
- - The itinerary should be viewed as ideal we may have to make some spot changes due various unavoidable reasons
- - The distances & altitude mentioned in the above itinerary are to the best of our knowledge & information; marginal variance in the actual distances & altitudes is possible
- - You are expected to be in reasonable shape and fitness
- - Roots Ladakh reserves the right and permission to use photographs of individuals and photographs submitted by them on tour for use in promotional and publicity purposes