Witness the rare Himalayan Brown Bears in the second coldest inhabited place in the world. Our lodge is arguably the best location in Western Ladakh for sighting these magnificent mammals in Ladakh. Along with Tibetan Wolf, Himalayan Red Fox, Long tail marmot, Asiatic Ibex, Ladakh Urial and even the elusive Snow Leopard. Drass is also a haven for birding as it is home to a variety of warblers, finches and raptors.
Fixed Departure Dates
- 20th – 24th August
- 16th – 20th September*
- 23rd – 27th October*
- 14th – 17th November
- 14th – 18th April
- 5th – 9th May
- 18th – 22nd August
- 15th – 19th September*
*Departures in September and October can be clubbed with Dachigam National Park located near Srinagar during this period. Dachigam is a great place to see the Asiatic Black Bears
Style of TourJeep Safari and Hiking
Best SeasonApril to November
StaysBrown Bear Lodge
Day 1: Arrive in Kargil from Leh and drive to Drass
Day 2: Brown Bear Tracking
Day 3 & 4: Brown Bear Tracking
Day 5: Drive back from Drass to Kargil and onto Leh
- Transport fully engaged on disposal throughout the journey Ex Kargil
- All Meals in Kargil and Drass
- Accommodation at the lodge in Drass including all meals
- Tour Leader
- Spotting scope to share
- Local Spotters
- Local Porter/Mules
- Community Fee
- First Aid and oxygen cylinder
- Museum and Monastery tickets
- Personal binoculars/spotting scopes
- Personal expenses such as mineral water, beverages, alcohol
- Medical/Travel insurance
- Emergency evacuation cost
- Cost incurred due to change in itinerary on account of road blocks, weather change, vehicle breakdown
- Tips to drivers/guides
- GST @ 5%
- Power: Erratic power (based on site) with generator backup on schedule
- Food: Mix of Indian / Continental / Ladakhi. Set Menus
- Rooms: 5 Twin Rooms (with 1 or 2 shared Toilets)
- Small library of reference books and fiction
- Binoculars available on request
- Tea / Coffee & cookies available all day in the dining / lounge area
- Drinking water provided
- Packed lunches / tea coffee provided when in the field
- credit card facility – nearest ATM in Drass/Kargil
- Vehicles / guides / spotters at disposal
- Rooms are heated with gas heaters or bukharis
- Hot/Cold water in bathrooms/toilets provided in buckets.
- Toilet – Cleanwaste technology – odour-free dry chemical toilets
- Projection system for screening films
- Nearest Hospital in Drass/Kargil (approx.15min/1 hour drive)
- These itineraries are customizable based on guest interests to an extent and within the limits of the region/scope of operation.
- Depending on the time of the year these itineraries can be started from both Srinagar and Kargil and we can provide any further assistance on either end of the fixed departure if one feels the need.
- THE FIXED DEPARTURE DATES WILL OPERATE ONLY WHEN A MINIMUM OF 4 PAX SIGN UP PER TRIP.
- Minimum stay at the Lodge – 2 nights (suggested is 4 nights)
- The Himalayan Brown Bear Lodge can be used as a base to explore the heritage of Kargil, Suru Valley, Drass and other regions of Western Ladakh, apart from being the best site to view the Himalayan Brown Bears.
- Access – Less than 30 mins from Drass town. From Leh it is a 6 hours drive and from Snow Leopard Lodge Ulley it is 4 hours 30 mins, From Srinangar the drive takes 4 - 5 hours to our lodge depending on snow and traffic around Zoji La Pass. (open only after May)
- All outdoor related activities involve a certain level of risk. You are expected to sign an Indemnity Form in agreement to the risks involved through part taking in such outdoor activities.
- Delays are expected on account of roadblock & weather conditions. Our effort will be to continue with the trip as per the schedule & make you as comfortable as possible. But in such situations we may have to compromise and adjust to these situations then & there. Our Lead Guide on location will take the final call.
- The itinerary should be viewed as ideal we may have to make some spot changes due various unavoidable reasons.
- The distances & altitude mentioned in the above itinerary are to the best of our knowledge & information; marginal variance in the actual distances & altitudes is possible.
- You are expected to be in reasonable shape and fitness
- Roots Ladakh reserves the right and permission to use photographs of individuals and photographs submitted by them on tour for use in promotional and publicity purposes