Ladakh Wildlife Experience
Style of TourJeep Safari and Hiking
Best SeasonMay to September
StaysRemote Lodge in Drass and Tsokar, Hotel in Nimmu
Day 1: Arrive at Leh, transfer to Grand Dragon
- Rest and acclimatize for the day
Day 2: Leh Local Sightseeing
- Take it easy today. After breakfast visit to Thiksey monastery, Central Asian Museum and Shanti Stupa. Explore Leh market in the evening.
Day 3: Transfer to Brown Bear Lodge in Western Ladakh. (6hrs)
- Post breakfast drive towards Drass in Kargil via the NH1.Enroute visit Alchi and Lamyuru Monastery. Have hot lunch in Kargil. Arrive at the lodge in Drass by evening
Day 3 to Day 5: Exclusive Brown Bear tracking in Western Ladakh (3 nights)
- A typical day at the brown bear lodge looks something like this: Early start to go looking for Brown Bears (usually between 5am) and other exciting wildlife around Drass with your spotter and tour Leader. You will be on foot to reach the vantage points at the top (40 mins-1 hour climb – gentle slope – mules and porters can be arranged) or drive scanning the slopes for movement of bears. The bears are generally active till around 9am after which we return. The guests can also stay on the hill for the whole day with their spotter if they wish to and on those days, a hot lunch will be brought up to the guest. Small packed breakfast goes with the guests on the morning expedition and once back in the house, a larger breakfast/brunch is served. Post lunch/brunch, head out on your vehicle with the tour leader to take in some places of interest around Kargil and Drass such as War Memorial (20 mins), Bhimbat (20 mins), Kargil Town (1 hour), Suru Valley (3 hours), Aryan Valley (2 hours), Hundarman Museum (40 mins) among other places. The guests can also choose to walk some other trails for birding or seeing flower blooms depending on the time of the year.
Day 6: Transfer to Nimmu House (3 nights) driving via Domkhar and Aryan Valley (5 hrs)
- Today we will head back towards Nimmu in Sham valley via the lower Indus belt. Explore the ancient Rock Art site in Domkhar. Overnight at Nimmu House.
Day 7: Explore the heritage house, the Indus and the village of Nimmu
- Spend the day exploring the Nimmu heritage house and trying out their local cuisines. Walk around the ancient village of Nimmu and experience the local way of life
Day 8: Day trip to Ulley for Snow Leopard sighting
- Our spotters at Ulley will be constantly looking for wildlife- including snow leopards - during the 3 nights the guests are there in Nimmu House.
Day 9: Transfer to Lodge in Tsokar (3 nights) via Tanglang La and Changthang (5 hrs)
- After an early breakfast drive to Tsokar Lake. Our local team will receive us at the lodge. Overnight at the lodge..
Day 10: Wildlife Viewing and Birding in Tsokar
- Explore the various lakes of Tsokar, the Changpa nomadic community, birding and wildlife viewing..
Day 11: Day trip to Tsomoriri Lake and Puga Hotsprings ( 3 hr drive ).
- Drive to Tsomoriri for birding and visit the sulphur hot springs of Puga, a unique natural phenomenon caused by volcanic diffusion deep inside the earth’s crust. Lunch will be served at Tsomoriri Lake.
Day 12: Return to Leh. Night at Grand Dragon (1 night)
- Drive back to Leh and check into to hotel..
Day 13 – Fly back to Delhi
- Early morning transfer to the airport.
- ADDITIONAL INFO
- All meals
- Tea / Coffee all day
- Transportation at the lodge for wildlife spotting
- Transfers to and from the lodge from Leh
- All activities
- Spotter / Trackers
- Resident Naturalist at the Lodge
- Personal Tour Leader / Naturalist
- Any Alcohol / Beverages
- Any Travel / Medical Insurance
- Stay and activities in Leh
Facilities at the Lodge
- Power : Regular power supply with generator back up on schedule
- Food : Mix of Indian / Continental / Ladakhi. Set Menus
- Library of reference books and fiction
- Binoculars available on request
- Spot scope with camera and mobile adapters
- Tea / Coffee & cookies available all day in the dining / lounge area
- All water freshly filtered in RO / UV
- Packed lunches / tea coffee provide when in the field
- No credit card facility – nearest ATM in Leh
- Vehicles / guides / spotters at disposal
- Rooms are heated with Gas / Electric heaters / Bukharis
- Hot Water Bottles
- No running water in winter. Toilets are flushed with buckets
- Hot water for bathing is available in buckets at your convenience
- Projection system for screening films in the Main Lodge and Annexe
- First Aid Kit
- Oxygen Cylinders
- Nearest Hospital in Leh ( approx. 2 hours drive )
- Access : 3 hours drive from Leh ( we drive slowly stopping at many places so it becomes a half-full day drive), 3 hours 30 mins from pangong lake. 2 hrs drive from Hunder ( Nubra Valley)
- Best times for wildlife viewing:
- Wolf : November to April
- Himalayan Fox : All year
- Golden Eagles & Lammergeiers: All year. Courtship displays: March
- Ibex: November to June
- Urial: All year
- Marmot : April
- Bird watching: Throughout the year. Seasonally arranged list available.
What to carry?
- Valid ID proof (Passport/Voter ID/Drivers Licence)
- Comfortable walking shoes
- A small daybag for walks
- One down jacket or warmer for chilly nights
- Rain poncho or jacket/windcheater (a must!)
- Sun block
- Sun goggles
- Flashlight with extra batteries (preferably wearable)
- Water bottle, preferably wide mouthed, with at least one litre capacity
- Personal toiletries
- Power bank (if you want to use phone camera)
- That book you’ve been meaning to read
- All outdoor related activities involve a certain level of risk. You are expected to sign an Indemnity Form in agreement to the risks involved through part taking in such outdoor activities.
- Delays are expected on account of roadblock & weather conditions. Our effort will be to continue with the trip as per the schedule & make you as comfortable as possible. But in such situations we may have to compromise on the campsite & adjust to these situations then & there. Our Lead Guide on location will take the final call.
- The itinerary should be viewed as ideal we may have to make some spot changes due various unavoidable reasons.
- The distances & altitude mentioned in the above itinerary are to the best of our knowledge & information; marginal variance in the actual distances & altitudes is possible.
- You are expected to be in reasonable shape and fitness
- Roots Ladakh reserves the right and permission to use photographs of individuals and photographs submitted by them on tour for use in promotional and publicity purposes