The Snow Leopard Lodge
The Snow Leopard Lodge is the only dedicated wildlife lodge in Ladakh. It began originally as a homestay owned by one of Ladakh’s top snow leopard trackers – Tchewang Norbu – under the auspices of a program initiated by the Snow Leopard Conservancy designed to use tourism as a conservation tool.
The Lodge is located in the village of Ulley in West Ladakh, north of the Indus River, at an altitude of about 13,000 feet. It is 2 – 3 hours driving time from Leh. Ulley itself is a hamlet of just 7 houses beyond which are the high summer pastures. This is excellent Ibex country and an area that has only recently been developed for Snow Leopard tracking. It has quickly gained a reputation not just for the high numbers of Snow Leopards but as one of the best areas to see Ibex, Urial, Wolf, Red Fox, Bearded and Himalayan Griffon Vultures and Golden Eagles.
The Snow Leopard lodge is also open in the summer from which to enjoy not just the stunning high altitude fauna, but also the flora of Ladakh, both on foot and using vehicles, guided all the way by our excellent nature guides and spotters.
Style of TourJeep Safari and Walks
Max Altitude4200 m
Best SeasonNovember to April
StaysSnow Leopard Lodge
Day 1: Arrive at Leh, transfer to Grand Dragon
- Rest and acclimatize for the day.
Day 2: Leh Local
- After breakfast visit the Snow Leopard Conservancy for a quick interaction with their team and about their work. Explore Leh Market and Shanti Stupa, Leh Palace or the Central Asian Museum.
Day 3: Birding Day Trip
- Take a day trip to the villages of Latho, Gya and Meru for birding and wildlife viewing. Enroute visit some lesser known monasteries.
Day 4: Transfer to Snow Leopard Lodge, Ulley – 3 hrs
- After breakfast, leave for the Ulley via Sham valley.
Day 4 to Day 10: Snow Leopard Lodge, Ulley (7 nights)
- Wake up call at 7.
- Breakfast at 8 :30
- Day’s plan discussed then based on findings of the Spotters from earlier that morning ( guests can join the spotters early in the morning if they wish to)
- Based on information and distances, excursions will be organised using the vehicles at the Lodge, coupled with short walks ( easy to medium difficulty ) to vantage points or possible sighting areas. ( Mules and porters can be provided if requested in advance )
- Hot lunch at Lodge or in the field based on day’s plan.
- Return to the Lodge in the evening.
- Debrief in the common area over tea/coffee and snacks..
- Documentary projection or interaction with naturalists in the common area..
- Dinner at Lodge..
Day 11 – Return to Leh, Night at Grand Dragon
- After breakfast, drive back to Leh
Day 12 – Fly back to Delhi
- Early morning transfer to airport
- ADDITIONAL INFO
- All meals
- Tea / Coffee all day
- Transportation at the lodge for wildlife spotting
- Transfers to and from the lodge from Leh
- All activities
- Spotter / Trackers
- Resident Naturalist at the Lodge
- Personal Tour Leader / Naturalist
- Any Alcohol / Beverages
- Any Travel / Medical Insurance
- Stay and activities in Leh
- Power : Regular power supply with generator back up on schedule
- Food : Mix of Indian / Continental / Ladakhi. Set Menus
- Library of reference books and fiction
- Binoculars available on request
- Spot scope with camera and mobile adapters
- Tea / Coffee & cookies available all day in the dining / lounge area
- All water freshly filtered in RO / UV
- Packed lunches / tea coffee provide when in the field
- No credit card facility – nearest ATM in Leh
- Vehicles / guides / spotters at disposal
- Rooms are heated with Gas / Electric heaters / Bukharis
- Hot Water Bottles
- No running water in winter. Toilets are flushed with buckets
- Hot water for bathing is available in buckets at your convenience
- Projection system for screening films in the Main Lodge and Annexe
- First Aid Kit
- Oxygen Cylinders
- Nearest Hospital in Leh ( approx. 2 hours drive )
- A day trip towards the villages of Latho – Gya – Meru (road to Taglang La) [for Bharal, Tibetan Partridge and other lesser wildlife that are seldom seen in the hills around Ulley] is often organised (if pre-booked) from Leh, before the guests shift to Ulley.
- Minimum stay at Snow Leopard Lodge – 5 nights (suggested is 7 nights ) (winter)
- This trip can be clubbed with our setup for Brown Bears ( April and Nov) and Lynx (Nov to April )
- Per night Tariff of the Snow Leopard Lodge also available on request
- Best times for wildlife viewing:
- Wolf : November to April
- Himalayan Fox : All year
- Golden Eagles & Lammergeiers: All year. Courtship displays: March
- Ibex: November to June
- Urial: All year
- Marmot : April
- Bird watching: Throughout the year. Seasonally arranged list available.
- By signing up for a trip with Roots, you acknowledge that you have voluntarily applied to participate in this trip and that you have read the description of the trip as it appears and the information below:
- All outdoor related activities involve a certain level of risk. You are expected to sign an Indemnity Form in agreement to the risks involved through part taking in such outdoor activities.
- Delays are expected on account of roadblock & weather conditions. Our effort will be to continue with the trip as per the schedule & make you as comfortable as possible. But in such situations we may have to compromise on the campsite & adjust to these situations then & there. Our Lead Guide on location will take the final call.
- The itinerary should be viewed as ideal we may have to make some spot changes due various unavoidable reasons.
- The distances & altitude mentioned in the above itinerary are to the best of our knowledge & information; marginal variance in the actual distances & altitudes is possible.
- You are expected to be in reasonable shape and fitness
- Roots Ladakh reserves the right and permission to use photographs of individuals and photographs submitted by them on tour for use in promotional and publicity purposes